22 October, 2014

Quick Review: Reese's Peanut Butter Cup McFlurry - Plymouth, Michigan - December 2013



Consumed on 22 December 2013
Location - Beck Road, Plymouth, Michigan, USA
Price - 1.79USD
Calories - ~410kcal





I know I always say I'm going to get around to doing shorter reviews of the not-so-interesting items, or from the pre-blog day/single photo items and I promise to find the time.  When my wife and I visited my family in Canada last winter, we had a handful of promo items in the US.  I never thought these would be that interesting, and I probably should have wrote them up earlier in the year when I was travelling less, but better late than never.

I'm starting with the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup McFlurry, because it might be the most interesting to my readers outside the US, since unlike other US snacks, Reese's never really sell all that well in other countries.  For those of you that have never had a Reese cup before, both the chocolate and peanut butter have a flavour unique to this snack, both chocolate and peanut butter taste like they should, but there's something clearly "Reese's" about.  Personally, I'm a big fan of any Butter + Chocolate (Nutella and Peanut Butter is my guilty pleasure sandwich) so I've always enjoyed Reese's cups, even if the quality of the ingredients are a bit on the low end, and it's heavy on the simple sugars.  The "snack size" McFlurry the US has is cheap, and it's pretty much the same size as the Asian regular size.  I remember my sister ordering a "large" in 2010 and I was shocked by how massive the 900kcal monstrosity was. This McFlurry was also happened to be made to perfection, with huge scoops of both chocolate and PB.  People often complain about the quality of US McDonald's, and I can admit that sometimes it really is terrible, but this McFlurry looked as good, if not better than than any other I've had. The only negative point I had about this McFlurry was it wasn't made with actually broken up Reese's cups, but rather it looked like was made with pre-separated scoops of Chocolate and Reese's trademark peanut butter, chunks of the real snack would have given it a better appearance.

This McFlurry looks to have made an appearance in the US at seemingly random times, but it really should become a regular menu item, because it's easily the best flavour they have in the US and tops an Oreo McFlurry any day of the week.

Rating - 4.5/5