17 May, 2014

Tom Yum Cutlet - Singapore - May 2014

The photo doesn't do it justice.

Not sure what the sticker indicates, they only have a single flavour

Consumed on 16 May 2014
Location - McDonald's Hougang, Singapore
Price - $2SGD = $1.60USD
Calories - ~275kcal



When I was on the train home from work on Wednesday, I saw a Facebook Ad from McDonald's Singapore promoting their new Tom Yum Cutlet, and their 'new' Smokey Drumlets.  This was a bit misleading, since the drumlets have been available for the last 2 months, and I still refuse to try them. 

This promo came as a surprise, as there was no mention of it on Facebook prior to the launch day.  Personally, I would have liked something that wasn't Chicken, since the last 3 Promo burgers were chicken, but I can't complain when they continue to have something new every couple weeks.


I thought I wasn't going to like it, since the chicken usually used in Singapore is oily chicken thigh patty which is fried with its skin, but this truly was a chicken cutlet.  Although it was still fried with skin (which you can see as a separate layer in the photo below), it was fried more than a normal chicken patty, and the meat was a thinner piece of meat.  Because it was thinner than a typical patty, it was also wider and longer, which was a nice surprise, served at the same $2 price points as the tiny drumlets, I expected it to be jokingly small. The texture of the chicken reminded me of the Juicy chicken line in Japan.  


You can see the yellow tom yum seasoning on the edge (mostly on the skin) of the meat.  Although it was heavily fried, which left the breading dark, the inside was still moist, and the tom yum flavour was noticeable, strong, fragrant, and most importantly, actually very good.  I'm not a fan of tom yum soup, but I do like tom yum snacks, and the seasoning used was a nice mix of both spicy, sweet and sour, just like tom yum should be.  If I lived close enough to McDonald's for lunch, I'd happily buy one of these and turn it into a decent sandwich, on a bun with lettuce and tomato, it would be perfect.  Just like the score.

Rating - 5/5