15 May, 2014

Himalayan Tea McFlurry - Singapore - May 2014




Consumed on 03 May 2014
Location - McDonald's Centrepoint, Orchard Road, Singapore
Price - $2.80SGD = $2.23USD
Calories - ~380kcal



One of the few perks I received when going to the Mala Burger launch party was a voucher for "a Free McFlurry".  It expired at the end of the month, so I hoped that there would be a promotional McFlurry I could take advantage of with the coupon in order to review.  Fortunately, last week just such a McFlurry came through the pipeline, with the Himalayan Tea McFlurry.  Unfortunately, not a single branch would honour the coupon, they all said that the "Free McFlurry could only be Oreo".   I've posted the question to McDonald's Singapore Facebook page, and they didn't bother taking the time to give me an answer.  Below is a photo of the still yet-to-be-used coupon below, it doesn't state anywhere that it is only for Oreo.  What do you think? (Let me know in the comments)



Since we heard the exact same excuse from every dessert kiosk we tried to redeem it at, I eventually just gave in and bought one at full price.  To give a bit of background, 'Himalayan' flavoured McCafe drinks have been available in Singapore since before I moved here, so they've at least been around since 2012.  I also remember promotional items like Himalayan Cakes, Lattes, Frappes and other various McCafe concoctions over the last couple of years.  I personally don't eat, nor review McCafe items (since I wouldn't be able to eat anything when I travel that way, there are just too many items) so I was intrigued when I saw this McFlurry, since it would allow me to finally try this seemingly popular flavour.


It was a standard Oreo McFlurry with powered tea mixed in. Pretty much the same idea as the Matcha McFlurry.   This was yet another good combination, as the tea power used was a spicy tea which reminded me of a cross between Twinings Chai and Masala Tea.  My McFlurry not only had quite a bit of tea powder, but it had a very respectable amount of Oreo, and unlike most in Singapore, it actually was over the rim with ice cream.  If I can ever get my free coupon to be redeemed, I'd gladly use it to have another one of these.

Rating 4/5

They also had these, but I'm not going to even bother trying it.  The Flavourburst syrups are just disgusting, and I can't imagine Espresso Syrup being worth the $1.