06 June, 2013

Chicken Muffin - Singapore - May 2013

McDonald's Chicken Muffin - Singapore 2013

No promo packaging, but this is now a standard breakfast item, it can pass.


Consumed on 11 May 2013
Combo Price - $4 SGD = $3.20USD
Calories - ~350kcal



The Mini, patiently waiting for me to take the photos before I she could dig in.

Sorry about the delayed review this week.  I've been meaning to post up a new review of sauces from New Zealand, but I've been working offsite, and I don't have access to the images which are on my work computer back at the office.  It will be up soon, but until then, here's a quick review of McDonald's Singapore Chicken Muffin which my wife and I tried back in May.  Though I work in the city centre, we rarely make our way there during the weekend mornings, to be honest, we rarely get out of the apartment before 2pm on the weekend. But this time, we had to go to the immigration office to pick up my wifes new visa before heading off to Malaysia the next day (to eat more McDonald's).  Since the Employment pass office is in Boat Quay and it was HOT that morning, easily +34 outside. We wanted to get a quick drink somewhere to escape the heat and McDonald's was a cheaper alternative than the expensive touristy restaurants that were open at the time.  My wife wanted a $2 McChicken for her early lunch, but we quickly learned that McDonald's serves breakfast until 12 noon on the weekend.  Rather than going back out to suffer through the heat, I thought we should give the relatively new Chicken Muffin a try, seeing as I hadn't had this new Singapore version, and I could compare it to the Japanese version I had a couple years ago.  Though they didn't offer it at $2 for just the sandwich, the combo was only $4 so that's what we shared.

Closeup of the chicken patty.

One of the first reviews I did for this blog, was back in October 2011, when I review the McDonald's Japan Chicken Muffin, which had just been introduced.  Though this Singapore version was noticeably cheaper, even the chicken was different.  Judging from the promo photo, I assumed that it was just going to be a McChicken patty on a English muffin, but I was pleasantly surprised.  The chicken patty was a tiny bit thinner than a McChicken patty, but it was denser meat, and had more seasoning within the actual patty, though it was just pepper, I enjoyed the taste more than the simple McChicken.  Just like the Japanese version, it had a glob of mayo, but it wasn't too much for the small sandwich, personally I would have preferred it without, but it didn't make it lose any points.  Also, to add to the artery clogging goodness, they've swapped out the lettuce from the Japanese version for a slice of cheese.  

Those eyes show how much she was focusing on the flavour.

She said it was an easy 4/5, but I think it was more deserving of a 3.5/5.

Rating - 3.5/5

 What was a nice surprise was that this branch had free pots of both coffee and tea on the ground floor which you go refill your cup.  But apparently it is only for breakfast hours as soon as it was 12:01 and breakfast was finished, an employee quickly ran out to take them away.  We sat for about 30 minutes using the wifi before continuing our walk (which we ended up staying out walking around aimlessly just enjoying the weather until about 6pm).

What every Korean does when killing time...taking self-photos!

I know no one wants to see a photo of me...