18 August, 2012

Cheese and Onion Bites (with Spicy Tomato Dip) - London, UK - August 2012

McDonald's Cheese and Onion Bites
Cheesy & oily. 
McDonald's Spicy Tomato Dip Photo
  
Consumed on - 5 August 2012
Location - McDonald's Oxford Street, London, United Kingdom
Price - £1.59GBP = ~$2.50USD
Calories - 300kcal for 6 pieces. 25kcal for the dip.
Click the link below for the Ingredients, Receipt and the review!


Ingredients - Cheese and Onion Triangle (Cheddar Cheese (22%), Mozzarella Cheese (11%), Soft Cheese (7%), Dried Onion (4%), Stabiliser (Methyl Cellulose)), Wheat Flour, Water, Vegetable Oil (Sunflower, Rapeseed), Wheat Starch, Wheat Semolina, Wheat Gluten, Wheat Curls (Wheat Flour, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Vegetable Oil (Sunflower), Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin)), Salt, Raising Agents (Disodium Diphosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Yeast, Dextrose. Prepared in the restaurant using a non-hydrogenated vegetable oil.
McDonald's Cheese and Onion Bites Receipt 

As I mentioned in my review of the Horlicks Shake, I spent the beginning of the month in London for my first ever business trip, and I was able to try a few different things, as well as their summer promotional items.  As the Olympics were well underway, McDonald's had a small summer promo trying to tie in 'Traditional' British items, into a unique McDonald's menu, the first I tried was the Cheese and Onion Bites with Spicy Tomato Dip.  The first think I think of when I hear Cheese and Onion is the Walkers Crisp (Lay's Potato Chips, for those who speak 'American')
I guess you could also think of a pie, but its not the first thing that came to mind. 

I ordered these for a snack in a really busy Oxford Street McDonald's and though I had researched them on the McDonalds.co.uk homepage before I arrived, I never really imagined what they would taste like.  When I ordered them, they were very hot, and the paper bag they put them in (which I happily noticed that even though it was plain red lettering on a white bag, that they still went through the effort to make promotional packaging) was soaked in grease from the bites.  Even by the time I found a seat and unwrapped them I was still able to dab off some grease sitting on the top of each bite.  They looked pretty thick, and I popped an entire one into my mouth, and I soon noticed this was a terrible idea, the entire filling was burning hot, melted cheese.  As I said before, I never really though about what a 'Cheese and Onion' bite would taste like, and I expected there to be something other than JUST cheese inside.  Not sure if I was expecting there to be something like potato, or even a thicker shell (kind of like a Mozzarella stick), but it was all cheese, and pretty bad tasting cheese at that.  The 'onion' the name refers to are the small bits you see on the outside of the bite, the filling is totally cheese.  This explained why they were so oily.  After having my tongue and roof of my mouth burnt to a satisfactory amount, I attempted to try a bite dipped in the sauce.   Not sure why McDonald's didn't just call this 'Salsa' because that's pretty much all it was, surely it must be different than the Salsa dip they already serve with their standard Mozzarella sticks! 


They could have, and should have come up with a better 'British' promo item for the Olympics.
2/5


By the way, my next review will be over at www.thetripsherpa.com  If you want to know how I get to travel so often on a student budget, you'll learn a lot over there.