14 July, 2015

Super Spicy Red Hot Chicken with Rice - Bangkok, Thailand - July 2015

McDonald's Thailand Super Spicy Red Hot Chicken with Rice - Thailand 2015



Decent sauce-age.
Purchased on 14 July 2015
Consumed at McDonald's Robinsons Department Store, Asoke, Bangkok, Thailand
Price - 59THB ($1.74USD) on it's own. +10THB (0.29USD) for an egg, and another 10THB for a drink.
Calories - Unknown




2nd time at this branch. Nice renovation sometime in the last year
It's been 2 weeks without a review! I know it's been far too long, but I do have pretty good excuse.  I've pretty much been bedridden for the last 7 days with Dengue Fever!  I left work last Monday  with a splitting headache, and by the time I got home, I was down for the count with a high fever. I get sick pretty often, and I do usually get a fever, but they usually get better after 24 hours.  Tuesday was pretty bad, and I even forced myself to the office.  Wednesday morning the wife and I had a flight to Bangkok, and although it wasn't bad, when I arrived in the hotel, that bed is where I stayed for the next 3 days, as I had a 41 degree fever and felt like I got hit by a bus.  After a 5 more terrible days and a few hospital visits, I'm only today fever free after having one for almost 8 days.  I had enough energy to visit a McDonald's before our flight back to Singapore just so I could bring you this review!  I'm still not thinking straight, and the lethargy could last up to a month so please forgive if this review is a little incoherent. 


Although McDonald's was the last thing on my mind for most of my illness I did know in the back of my mind that there were 2 promo items running in Thailand and I'd like to try them both if I could stomach them.  When The Wife and I arrived at the branch we were there during a busy lunchtime rush period. I went straight to the kiosk to place my order. I ordered both promos that I wanted, the first being the Super Spicy Red Hot Chicken with Rice.  I put my card in the reader to pay, and the entire kiosk locked up...wonderful.  The locals were skipping the kiosks all together, so I joined the queue rather than trying the other kiosk.  When I ordered at the counter they informed me they were out of the 2nd promo, but more about that in another review...



When I was served, I was glad to see the reusable plates made a return (kind of like the hard plastic reusable cups that are still used in Korea during the lunch rush).  The only problem was that the plate was a bit too large for the amount of food they were serving, so it looked like you weren't served that much, where it was actually a decent amount, but still too much for me at the time I was trying it.  Rice dishes aren't new to McDonald's, and I've reviewed a number of them in Thailand in-particular (including Rice Porridge!).  But this was the first promo rice dish I was able to try in a long time.    


Keen eyed readers will have noticed that I tried the "Super Spicy" chicken with rice, and there was also a basic "Spicy" variant being offered (and also a Chicken Wing option as well).  I have a feeling the hot sauce drizzled all over the plate was the same, but the chicken patty was either a standard, or "spicy" cutlet of chicken.  That said, the red sauce was what people came to try, as this was the backbone of the promotion.  It wasn't simply a hot sauce like Tabasco, nor was it Sweet Thai Chilli sauce that you'd get in a bottle, this was a nicer quality, and had both a spicy, and smokey taste to it. It worked best with the rice and egg, but it was also a perfectly fine combination with the chicken.  I only felt it to be a bit too much sugar in it.  I'll be the first to admit, that my sense of taste was off since I was sick, but my wife agreed, that it was tasty, and it did have a slight hint of actual spiciness to it, but it was far from "Super Spicy".  The chicken was a bit cold, probably due to the lunch rush, but the chicken patty itself wasn't oily, but yet still remained crispy.  I wouldn't want to eat it on it's own, but mixed together with the rice and sauce, it was still pretty good.  All in, when we move to Thailand in September, it'll be something I'd have for a quick lunch again.

Rating - 3.5/5

Now it's time to sleep again...More reviews to come in a couple days.