04 March, 2015

Ham & Egg Pie - Bangkok, Thailand - March 2015




Consumed on 3 March 2015
Location - McDonald's Bangkok Don Mueang International Aiport, Bangkok, Thailand
Airport Price - 52THB = $1.62USD. City Price - 29THB = $0.90USD
Calories - ~320kcal


Last weekend I went to Bangkok to meet my mother, who was flying in from Dubai.  I had asked her to pick up some of the new Camembert Cheese Balls from the McDonald's in Dubai Airport and fly them into Thailand, but when she visited the branch, they told her that the in-airport branches only get the promotions about a week after the main city, so she arrived empty handed.  I may ask her to pick some up on the way home and keep them frozen for me, but I'm not completely sure if it's worth it.  

McDonald's Dubai Camembert Cheese Balls
The review today will be for the Ham & Egg Pie, which has actually been a recurring promo in Thailand over the last 4-5 years.  I've passed on it before since I had a similar pie in China, but since I didn't get to try that many items in Thailand this trip, I thought I would give it a go.   It was also the last item I tried in Thailand this trip, but because my wife and mother are still travelling (and they have the camera), these were the only photos I currently have.  They also look terrible because not only did The Wife have our camera, but she also had my phone!  I only have a front-facing camera on my tablet so I had to struggle to take backwards photos of a pie, in an already dark airport.


The photos really don't do it justice at all, as this was one of the better promo (fried) pies I've had in a long time, but McDonald's Thailand does have a respectable track-record with their pies. The fried shell worked surprisingly well with the creamy egg filling, and although the ham was noticeable, it wasn't overly salty or overpowering, probably because it was made from chicken rather than pork.  Mixed in the egg was a bit of black pepper and "seasoning" which tasted mostly of basil which being in Thailand, isn't far from impossible.  This seasoning allowed the filling to hide any 'eggy' taste that may have come from the eggs.  I was also rather impressed with the texture of the filling, as although the fried pie shell was hard and crispy, the filling was a perfect combination of creamy, and fluffy.

In the end, it tasted like a decently cooked bit of scrambled eggs inside a McDonald's pie...and somehow, it just worked...I regret not reviewing it in a real branch with a proper camera.

Rating - 5/5