06 August, 2014

Omelette Burger - Colombo, Sri Lanka - July 2014



Consumed on 25 July 2014
Location - Galle Road, Colombo, Sri Lanka
Combo Price - 250LKR = $1.90USD
Calories - Unknown




After three consecutive reviews from France, I thought it would be a nice change to have a review from a new country. My wife and I spent 5 days in Sri Lanka after our trip to France, so it's a perfect opportunity to post one of their breakfast items.  I still have a few in the pipeline from France, and they'll come over the next week or two. 

The menu might look big, but there are only 4 sandwiches available. 

This was my 3rd trip to Sri Lanka, both prior trips were during the very early days of the blog.  Back in 2011, I reviewed the Fish McRice with Gravy and the Veggie Burger as they were the only two items of interest on the dinner menu.  Both are still on the lunch & dinner menu, but there wasn't anything else new.  I hoped that breakfast might reveal something worth trying, and luckily, it did not disappoint.  There were only four items on the menu for breakfast, and two of the "burgers" were worth trying, and the first I'll review is the "Omelette Burger".  For those of you that are interested, I passed on the "Egg Burger", which was just an egg and cheese on a bun, and the "Ham & Egg Burger", which was identical, but included a slice of ham.  


The Omelette Burger was pretty simple, it was standard kids meal hamburger bun with the omelette sandwiched between.  The egg was a very, very thin folded piece of egg.  This wasn't cooked in the usual McDonald's way, in the circular ring, but was hand cooked on a pan.  You could tell whoever cooked this egg was very good at their job, since it was cooked perfectly even on both sides, and at that thinness, required quite a bit of skill to not break.  The egg was so thin, it would have only required a couple seconds to cook, which meant the vegetables inside were heated, but still essentially raw. Having raw onion, pepper and lettuce inside the omelette was a bit of a surprise, but I'm accustomed to eating large pieces of raw onion after living in Korea, I rather enjoyed the sharpness of it.  It was topped off with a surprising amount of black pepper, which allowed the fresh vegetables to stand out even more.  Although this wasn't at all what I was expecting, I really enjoyed it.

Being rather taken aback with the hit of raw onion.

As always, my wife gets the first bite.

The first, huge, bite...

Probably the best part about this burger in my opinion, was the complete lack of sauces.  I could imagine a burger with similar ingredient selling pretty well over here, but undoubtedly McDonald's would either load it up with Mayo, or worse yet...ketchup.  Since McDonald's plain hamburger buns are pretty bland on their own, the simple blend of raw vegetables and egg was probably one of the freshest items I've ever had from any McDonald's, and it goes to show, that you don't have to have 16 toppings for a burger to be great.

Rating - 5/5

If you've read my review from 2011, I mentioned that it was mostly middle-upper class families eating at McDonald's for dinner, since the food at Sri Lankan McDonald's is 4-5X the cost of food outside.  During this breakfast visit, there were only Mainland Chinese businessmen, and a handful of other tourists inside, not a single local in sight, which was a bit disappointing to be honest.  

Interestingly there wasn't a single McMuffin on the menu, I think Sri Lanka may be the only country without McMuffins.  Let me know in the comments if you know otherwise. 


The Playplace mentioned in my 2011 is still here, but empty during breakfast