21 May, 2013

Hot & Spicy McShaker - Johor, Malaysia - May 2013




Consumed on 16 May 2013
Location - McDonald's City Square Mall, Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Price - Free with Upsized combo meal.
Calories - Unknown


A couple weeks ago my wife and I went to Malaysia to have the new Malaysian promo items.  During this meal, we sampled the Norishio Shaka Shaka's that my friend sent over from Japan, along side the new Malay McShaker on offer at the time, the 'Hot & Spicy' flavour.   As I mentioned in the previous review, my wife was starving, so we ordered 2 combos, which though it isn't something we usually do (we just share one), but ordering two this time gave us enough fries to try both of the shakers properly.  The McShaker was being promoted along with the Spicy Chicken McDeluxe, which is now a full menu item in Malaysia.  I won't be reviewing it this time as I reviewed it previously during the "Fire and Ice" combo, when I had it along side the Smoky BBQ McShakers and a McFloat.  Speaking of the McFloat, though the two Koreans that tried the McFloat with me in Malaysia last November both hated the idea of Ice Cream + Coke, McDonald's in Korea has recently introduced a McFloat (with either Coke or strangely, Sprite) as their summertime promo drink. Not sure how well that will sell, but it has to be better than the Brownie I had in Korea last March.




The Mini posing with the shaker packets.
The flavour of the Hot & Spicy McShaker was strong, but I felt that it was a little metallic, rather than spicy.  If you've even been to Asia and tried the Wild Spice Pringles, the flavour was similar to that taste. Surprisingly it was actually spicy, not enough to burn or warrant stopping eating, but it was actually spicy enough that you could call it spicy, unlike the recent Peri Peri and Black Pepper burgers in Singapore.  We also noticed that the chilli sauce that you get in Malaysia is slightly spicier than the Singapore counterpart.  

Japan on the left, Malaysia on the right.

We only ended up using 1/2 the packet we opened as we enjoyed the Japanese one much more, and because we ordered 2 combos, we had 2 packets, one of which is still unopened.  If anyone is willing to swap a local McDonald's item from their country for it, please send me an email at the top of this page.

Rating - 3/5