24 January, 2013

Chicken Prosperity Burger - Johor Bahru, Malaysia - January 2013






Consumed on 19 January 2013
Location - City Square Mall, Johor Bahru, Malaysia.
Price - 9.50MYR = ~$3.12USD - Sandwich Only.  Meal was 11.50MYR
Calories - Unknown


McDonald's Malaysia Receipt 

Ugh....just thinking back at eating this burger gives me a sore stomach.  Last weekend my fiancée and I crossed into Malaysia because her friend that was visiting from Korea wanted the experience of visiting another country (and I needed to stock up on a few groceries that are much cheaper up north).  I had originally planned on trying the Chicken Prosperity burger for lunch, but the two girls decided to order 5 dishes at the Malay restaurant we frequent,  so I left lunch feeling pretty full.  My alternative plan was that I thought I would try it quickly after dinner before crossing back into Singapore.  Little did I know was that I should have just tried to force it in after lunch because the girls decided to have a large seafood dinner, and I would leave that meal feeling so stuffed I didn't even want to try the burger.



With no plans to go back to Malaysia for at least another 3 weeks, I thought that I better get it over with, since the Chicken Prosperity would probably finish after Chinese New Year, and I felt that between the 3 of us we could split one sandwich.  I opted against getting the set meal even though it was only 2-3RM ($1) more than just the burger.  When the woman who took my order placed the burger on the tray I just grabbed the box to carry it upstairs where the girls were waiting for me.  I could feel a pretty strong heat even through the box, and when I opened it I was surprised that the burger was wrapped!  I assumed the hot burger was just touching the box directly, but that wasn't the case.  As I unwrapped the burger I saw steam coming out, and a very strong black pepper smell emanating from what was a VERY messy burger, there was sauce everywhere, even on top of the bun! I tried to clean it up as much as I could before taking a photo, but it still looked pretty gross.


My nose saying yes, but my stomach and eyes saying NO!
I took my first bite and though I wasn't hungry in the slightest, I rather enjoyed it.  The Black Pepper sauce was both spicy and sweet, and it was as 'fresh' as the heat led it to be.  Personally, I didn't like the chicken patty that was used, it was a bit chewy and felt like it had a lot of filler.  It might have been due to the amount of sauce that was everywhere, but I thought it was spicier than the Beef Prosperity Burger I had a month prior in Kuala Lumpur.

After 2 bites, I passed the burger over to the girls to try.  My fiancée was DISGUSTED at the taste, she said it tasted nothing like the Beef (that she loved), and that the sauce was totally different.  It wasn't, and I suspect it was more her being so full from dinner.  Her friend didn't seem that negative about it, but she didn't have more than a single bite either.  I had one more cursory bite before leaving 1/2 the sandwich on the table. I felt a bit guilty leaving that much, and in retrospect I probably just have got the combo meal so I could see if the fries were as bad as last time, and so I could try the Prosperity McFizz, which I passed on previously.  But that would have been an even bigger waste.

Also - The Chicken Prosperity just launched in Singapore today (for nearly 2X the price of Malaysia), but in true Singapore style, you can get it in a Double.

Rating - 4/5