08 June, 2012

Local Deluxe Breakfast - Honolulu, Hawaii - May 2010


Consumed on - 21 May 2010
Location - Honolulu Hawaii
Price - $4.69USD
Calories - ~900kcal!
Click the link below to read the review and see the rating.


I'd first like to apologise for not writing a review for the past week, but I've been busy with school, applying for jobs, and booking tickets to leave Korea (which gives me a couple transit stops to try new McDonald's items along the way).

This is another review of a meal I had a few years ago.  The Local Deluxe Breakfast is one of the special items that you can only get on the US islands of Hawaii, the 'Deluxe' is the larger and most expensive of the 3 breakfast platters as it contains both Portuguese Sausage and Spam, the others are ~1$ cheaper but only contain one of the two meats. Spam is unbelievably popular in Korea (so much so that they actually sell Spam gift sets to give out during holidays), so I'm surprised that this never caught on here.  The Spam at McDonald's was fried less than expected, I prefer it cooked longer, but the Portuguese sausage was firm and had a nice flavour.  The eggs had enough flavour and they weren't runny.  I thought they served far too much rice than any one person should be eating for one meal, especially for breakfast, but I always seem to say that when talking about US portion sizes.  It was served with a small packet of soy sauce, (just in case there wasn't enough sodium in the meat), but I would have needed another packet or two just to sufficiency flavour the amount of rice.

I remember the McDonald's was pretty busy and I was able to get a seat at an outdoor table, and a quick look around I saw I was the only person who was eating the breakfast sets.  At $4.69, you could probably fill yourself up with the dollar menu a little better than this.

This isn't the only special item at Hawaiian, I was able to try the Coconut Pie before.  McDonald's in Hawaii also had the Taro Pie, which I didn't sample because its easily available around Asia, and most Waikiki McDonald's served Pineapple slices with their set menus which I think gives them an excuse to charge higher prices than anywhere else in Hawaii (and the US).  Apparently at the time I tried this, they also had a instant noodle dish called Saimin available, but I never saw it on the menu, nor have I during subsequient trips to Hawaii, I'll be sure to ask for it next time I'm through.

Rating - 3/5